I wanted to share with all some of the options and one-offs I have planned for the BOSS 529. You’ll see a lot more during the final build, after body and paint.
For the dash… I wanted something over the “ordinary” and to bring a touch of current day technology to the monster Muscle Car.
I plan to use the brushed aluminum look in the dash and door panels. I found an outfit that make new dash fiberglass inserts for both the driver's and passenger side. One key advantage is the strength of the pieces vs. the factor plastic. I've designed my own gauges. I’ve worked with Speed Hut before and liked how they worked with me. In addition to the gauges seen here, I’ll have two additional gauges in the “A” pillar and two in the console. The speedo is a GPS driven unit that gives lots of extra functionality, e.g., 0-60 time, ¼ mile time, altitude, time of day, trip-ohmmeter and a few others functions. It’s also very accurate with speed/mph and it’s not influenced by your tire size or rear-end gearing.
Matching right side dash panel.... the jury is still out if the "Mustang" and pony remain. I'll wait for the installation to make up my mind.
Side by side
Here, you can see the "A" pillar gauges. In the dash will be a clock and vacuum gauges.
For seating, I chose Corbeau tilting seat, two tone micro fiber Black/Gray.
Seat of choice.... I bought the same micro fiber fabric for the rear seat. For the 5 point harness, I'll have to install bar anchored to the roof and floor for the shoulder straps to go over.
Power brakes were a must for me…. but as I got into the build I discovered a show stopper for me. The engine is so large, not even a standard manual brake master cylinder would fit.
This is a good shot down the valve cover to the master cylinder mounting on the fire wall. As you can clearly see, not even a standard master cylinder could mount here without hitting the engine…..
With this top view... you can clearly see the interference that would prevent a standard brake solution from being implemented. Luckily, I discovered HydraTech Braking who worked with me to design a solution that would work!
Because of the lack of room for a power brake unit or even a standard master cylinder.... I worked with HydraTech Braking to produce a one off system for my BOSS 529.... Jim and his team at HydraTech were a dream to work with.
As you can see, I have to slightly modify the firewall to allow the HydraTech unit to fit. All I need to do is drill and install a Grade 8 nut/bolt to attach to the brake pedal. I've already did a complete rebuild of the brake/clutch pedal assembly with new needle bearings and pivot points. Also, both the clutch and brake pedal are new with the brake pedal for Power Brakes being used vs. manual brakes (with the difference being the pivot/leverage point on the pedal).
Even with the offset of the HydraTech unit.... it's close. With engine torque/rotation during hard acceleration, the engine will move away from the unit... so I'm good to go.
This picture shows the master cylinder installed to the HydraTech. One change I’ve made is pulling off the brake fluid reservoir and rotating it 180 degrees. This way, the lines of the valve cover and reservoir map to each other.
One last item I’ll do before final install is to modify the bleeder valves. That will provide an additional 3/8”. Regarding the HydraTech Brake unit, it runs from the power steering pump and “plumbed” into the power rack and pinion unit. During final installation, I’ll document all this very well.
Stay tuned and comments most welcome!!