pix
pix
pix
pix
FORDMUSCLE.com FordMuscle Nav

December 13th, 2006

Simplify with a Mr. Amp 3G Alternator

If you’ve been paying attention to our project car articles since FordMuscle got started back in the late 90′s, you know that one of the first upgrades we make to our older rides comes in the form of the 3G alternator. If you are still running a 1G Motorcraft with all of that ridiculous wiring and that ugly voltage regulator, then get with it an try out a one-wire 3G alternator.

We’ve already got one installed on Project RedNeck, FordMuscle’s latest project truck. Search the net for junkyard solutions or consider one like the Mr. Amp shown here from Performance Distributors. This alternator is a 130 amp unit, it produces 65 amps at idle (Part Number 1MR-130-F).

Mr. Amp 1MR-130-F comes with a 6 gauge lead wire and thermal circuit breaker. Hook it right up to the positive side of a starter solenoid and you’re ready to roll. The lead wire can be sized for your application.

The unit we used here retails for $305.

By 67stang @ 2:38PM PDT.
Category: New Products
| RSS | Share on Facebook | E-Mail It

12 Comments

• 1
    SmellslikeWD40 says:

Jon, I dig the better amperage and reduction in wiring, but compare the Duralast price (I know, I know) to this Mr. Gold Plated unit. How can we do something similar on a budget that won’t exceed 2 bills? I don’t want my project to be cheesy or ineffective, but I’m looking for a solution like FM had with the Mark VIII fan vs. the aftermarket.

• 2
    Mikelonis says:

Junkyard 3G. Sounds like the makings of a good article. We’ll put it in the works for early 2007.

• 3
    Mr.Cheap says:

I got my 3G from a salvage yard for $65, it works great! I wouldn’t buy any fancy gold plated units but I wouldn’t let anything “Duralast” touch my junk either.

• 4
    Retyler says:

I bought a new Motorcraft 3G 130 amp alternator for $21 +$15.00 in shipping. So far it works great. I guess I was lucky no one else bid on it. Try the budget mods more often, I think the fans (readers) appreciate it more. If I bought all the high dollar items that are discussed or printed I would have 100 grand in a $10,000 car. Not for me. Don’t like the Kool Aid.

• 5
    papacito says:

Why buy a 3G alternator when a 6G alternator is the better option? The 6G is lighter, produces less heat and generates more amps at idle. A 6G does not require bracket modification. A simple wiring splice and it’s good to go.

Ebay Motors has new Ford 3G alternators listed for $160 and less. Auctions are won between $35-75 for used 3Gs. Do the math.

• 6

[...] Simplify with a Mr. Amp 3G AlternatorFord Muscle, CA - Dec 13, 2006… one-wire 3G alternator. We ve already got one installed on Project RedNeck, FordMuscle s latest project truck. Search the net … [...]

• 7
    Performance Distributors says:

Please note that our alternator consists of ALL brand new parts, that are made to last-very durable.

• 7.1
      Chris says:

I bought a Mr. Amp one wire alternator and installed it in my Jeep. Works great with a winch, lights, amp, etc. Got seven years out of it before it needed to be rebuilt – not bad I guess…

• 8
    Mike_sTANg says:

I got a 3G off of ebay for $145.. Complete kit and it’s a brand new motorcraft. I’m pretty sure that guy still sells them.

To the guy that said 6Gs make more amps at idle,,, cough, cough.. They do not! It’s around 65amps for a 6G and closer to 80amps for a 3G at idle rpm

• 9

Some times its a pain in the ass to read what blog owners wrote but this website is really user pleasant! .

• 10

Thank you for another informative site. The place else could I am getting that type of information written in such an ideal manner? I’ve a mission that I am simply now operating on, and I’ve been at the glance out for such information.

• 11
    HCG Drops says:

Good website. Thank a lot for writing that. I’ll return back to see what’s new and inform my acquaintenances about it.